About Our School
The Samuel Tucker community takes great pride in the school’s rich cultural diversity, unique calendar, and strong focus on academic achievement. Tucker operates on a modified calendar with a shortened summer and the opportunity for students to participate in two optional fall and spring intersessions, which provide remediation and enrichment opportunities that support problem-based learning and real-world experiences. The faculty and staff at Tucker are committed to the success of every individual student and work diligently to make sure every student is encouraged with high expectations and academic challenges so that they can flourish and reach their full potential. Every day at Tucker is a celebration of cultures, languages, and perspectives that enrich the classroom experience for our students.
- Coffee with the Principals
- Tucker Sweetheart Family Dance
- PTA Meetings
- Open House for Incoming Kindergarten Families
- Math and Science Night
Samuel W. Tucker Elementary School is fully accredited and meets Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP). To learn more, review the Virginia School Report Card on the Virginia Department of Education website or review recent test scores.
Student Body Demographics
- American Indian or Alaska Native: 0%
- Asian: 12%
- Black or African American: 34%
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander: 0%
- White: 27%
- Hispanic: 20%
- Multi-racial: 6%
- Eligible for free or reduced price meals: 45.8%
- Students requiring English Learners (EL) services: 39%
- Students receiving special education services: 7%
- Number of Licensed Staff: 59
- With postgraduate degrees: 73%
Frequently Asked Questions
- What defines Samuel Tucker Elementary?
- Is there a uniform?
- What supplies does my child need?
- What happens to lost items?
- What time does school start and end?
- What if my child is late for school?
- How do I drop off my child for school?
- How do I pick up my child?
- What before-school care and after-school programs are available?
- What happens during inclement weather or emergencies?
- How do I report an absence?
- Will my child be riding the school bus?
- How can I best contact my child’s teacher?
- How does lunch work?
- How do I deliver items to my child’s classroom?
- How are birthdays celebrated?
- Do you celebrate holidays?
- How does my child receive Talented and Gifted (TAG) services?
- What is the Modified Calendar and Intersession?
- What happens if my child has an emergency at school?
- What is the Tucker PTA?
- How can I be more involved or volunteer?